What Is Geocaching?

During spring break I was trying to find some things to do with my kids.  I fell upon Geocaching.

I thought, what a great and affordable thing to do with the kids!  AND, I will learn about parts of my town I never even knew where there.

What is Geocaching?  I tell my children, it's a lot like a scavenger hunt!  I went to the official website and signed up.  http://www.geocaching.com/

My first experience was an epic fail.  First of all, I had a tween with me and she just was not feeling the
Found on moneysavingmom.com
whole experience while my 6 year old had her eyes wide open and ready to search.  I typed in the coordinates into my phone and followed it's directions.  The first site, took me to the mall parking lot. I had no idea what I was looking for and felt uneasy with a small child in a parking lot.  So, we moved onto the next location.  That took me to another parking lot and I just had this feeling that I was trespassing.  I called it a day.  But I was so disappointed.  I TRULY wanted to find one!  It seems like a fun and great idea!

I was determined.  I went home and read a little more.  Maybe I was missing something.  So, I watched a few videos on the website and a few on YouTube as well.  I also downloaded an app on my smartphone that is just for geocaching!

Today, we ride!  LOL.  I found a couple of new places to try that were not out in parking lots.  They are in parks and have playgrounds.  My thinking is, even if it's a flop, the kids can still have fun and play.  Well, again, we found no Geocache but we did find some baseballs in the trees near the baseball field!  It's something, right?!


Have you and your family done any Geocaching?  Do you have tips for us beginners?

Comments