How To Find Calmness





If you are like me, you feel as if you are pulled from many different directions.  There is the stress of family, home, work, bills, children....on and on.

But with all of our daily stresses, we deserve to treat ourselves to a little kindness so that we can regroup and be in a positive mind set.

I remember as a little girl, my mom would complain and tell me that I "looked at life through rose colored glasses".  As an adult, I feel that this statement still holds true.  I know she didn't mean it as a positive thing at the time - she felt that I was living in a dream world.  But, I think this is how I have kept myself in check over the years.

When things are really stressful, I create a "scene" I guess you could say.  We are affected by all of our senses and with that in mind, I create an atmosphere that calms and relaxes me.  I always start by lighting a candle.  It reminds me of my grandparents home when I was a little girl.  They had a fire place and would light fires on the weekends.  The flame, the smell, the memory...so very powerful.  I know a candle is a far cry from a roaring fire, but, it calms me and it also shares a romantic scent in the room.  Maybe an apple or some soothing fall scent.

I also find music to be kind to the soul.  I will turn on classical music and turn it down low.  A nice relaxing background sound to keep me grounded.

Keep the tv off.  Sounds soft and muted.  Lights dim and soothing.  Turn the phone off and just focus on the moment at hand.  Sit with a cup of tea and reflect...breath deep.  Remind yourself of how wonderful you are.  You deserve this moment of stillness and reflection and this will help you fill your emotional bank from a long and exhausting day.


Comments

Post a Comment