Summer Time Blues

When school was winding up.... I couldn't wait to be able to spend time with my kids.  I had made a calender of all the events we were going to attend, movies, bowling, the beach, swimming pool...but somehow "life" has gotten in the way and it really has made me sad.

I want to play as much as the children do!


I just can't seem to balance my WAH job, house cleaning, grocery shopping and yard work.  It has really got me in the dumps and I need to snap out of it.  It's even taken my time away from my blogging...in case you haven't noticed that I have been missing in action.

Here is the solution that I have come up with: chores!  Yes.  I'm that awful mother who does not give her children any chores.  Why?  Well, it used to be that I was a Stay at Home mom...and I just did the chores while everyone was at school and work.  Now though, I'm working, but working from home.  I have set hours and I'm stuck at the computer.  So, I'm not able to get things done like I used to.

While I am working, the girls will find a clip board with a list of chores inside a plastic paper protector.  They have their list along with an erasable marker and they can help me get things done while I work and as soon as my shift is done, we eat lunch and can do whatever fun activity that we have planned for the day.  So far it has been SO helpful and my youngest just gets a thrill out of the clipboard and marker.  She seems to look at it as more of a game and that is just fine with me!

Here are some more helpful ideas:

When I wake in the morning, I turn on classical music.  It keeps the kids tempted to turn on the the tv while I work.

Before the chore list, I would finish work and the kids would still be in their PJ's and then we would have to take time to get dressed, brush our teeth and do our hair.  Now, those things are on the chore list and when I'm done everyone is ready to PLAY!

I've also put on my oldest daughters list to read 30 mins to my 6 yr old.  This has been a great way to help them both with reading AND keep them away from the TV.  I have selected bible based readings.


Hopefully these suggestions will be of some use to you.  I'd love to hear how you make the most out of your summer!



Comments