A Time of Reflection



I haven't written on my blog in a few months.  It seems that life has just gotten so busy that I have lost touch with just about everything.

I started a new work at home job and it requires more hours.  I'm thankful to have this job and very thankful to have a nice little paycheck to go with it too!  But, when I first started, it was very overwhelming.  I really had a hard time balancing my work hours and maintaining my house and family life.

So, now, things have started to calm down for a moment and I thought I would venture back to my blog and update you on the latest and greatest in my life!

I have been doing a lot of reflecting this week.  There have been so many changes and I feel very nostalgic as of late.  It's spring break soon and we will be making a trip out of state to visit family.  Usually this is a very fun time for me and the kids.  We really like to make the most of it...but this time around it will be very different.  My grandparents are in their 80's and have started to quickly decline.  My father lost his job and is struggling on many different levels.  My aunt almost passed away a few months ago and is in a nursing home now...just so many stressful things happening back home.  It's hard to not feel sadness for them all.

With my mind so focused on family, daily chores and tasks seem so different.  I'm looking at myself in a very different way.  I'm missing out on so many things.  I am just working and cleaning and working and cleaning.  Not much more.

I watched a documentary on a blog writer who has a blog called Advanced Style http://www.advancedstyle.blogspot.com/.  I found it to be very eye opening.  Very encouraging.  As I watch my grandmother fade, I recall her sense of style.  I lived with my grandmother for many years and there was not a single day that she was not dressed to impress.  She had her makeup done just right, her hair styled, perfume on and just put together with such class and elegance that I have never seen before.  I have never in my 43 years of life seen her in jeans or tennis shoes.  Then, I look at myself.  I'm sitting in jeans and a holey t-shirt with bleach stains.

So I have made a few little changes and it feels very good.  I don't have much money.  I am not thin.  I am not young, but I do have the ability to make myself feel better by spending a little time on myself.  I started small.  I'm very fair, so I dragged out my self tanner and gave myself a little glow.  I loved it.  Really perked me up some.  The next day, I painted my nails...even my toes.  Boy, did that catch my husband's eye.  Something so small and so simple and I got a very nice reaction.  Then today, I went through my closet and found an ankle length skirt and matching top...and again, caught the eye of my husband.  He thought I had gone shopping and asked me a couple of times if I had a new "boyfriend"!  

I feel good.  I plan on trying to have my face done, nails done and think more about what I am wearing.  Just because I am a stay at home mom does not mean that I am required to look like I just crawled out of bed.  I'm looking forward to updating my wardrobe to more than ratty old tshirts and over sized pants.

A time of reflection, with heart warming results.

Comments