Joy of Gardening

I love to garden.  I truly LOVE it!  However, I'm not always good at it.  Last year, I think I had the worst garden in history.  Nothing came of it except for a bunch of weeds really.

This year...I tried to plan it out a little bit.  First thing I did, weeding.  Oh the fun joy of pulling weeds all day.

My attempt at a rustic trellis.  Idea taken from multiple Pinterest posts.
Then, I did my serious research on Pinterest.  I did look at other sources as well, but I love the visuals on Pinterest.

I found a lot of wonderful suggestions on growing a productive garden.  If you haven't discovered Pinterest yet, you are truly missing out!

Some of the changes I've made:

  • Rotate crops
  • Find out which vegetables grow well together
  • Trellis!  I had a lot of vegetables die last year because they had no where to go!  So, they just rotted.
  • Mulch


I am feeling like a little kid.  I worked all weekend getting my garden started and I want to run out there first thing in the morning to see if anything is sprouting yet!


Greenhouses made from juice bottles.

** One thing I did make a mistake on already are my eggplants.  Just because the nursery has  items for sale, does not mean that it is safe to plant yet.  I bought two eggplants and have them planted.  Then I learned that they really like warmth and soil to be no cooler than 55 degrees.  Well, it has gotten cold here the past few nights.  Not cold enough for frost, but not 55 degrees either.  In an effort to save my lovely eggplants, I am making a "greenhouse" out of old juice cartons.  I am hoping that this will keep them warm and toasty and save their little lives
.


I plan on making updates to this post with pictures of my growing garden - hopefully something grows this year!

Comments